Healthy family relationships are cultivated, not inherited. This is a key concept to understand because it means the characteristics of a healthy family are within our grasp.
Here are what healthy families with teenagers say are true to them.
- Healthy families share core values that all members embrace and submit to.
- Healthy families recognize that maintaining the marriage is a priority for family health.
- Healthy families know how to communicate with each other.
- In healhty families, parents are not afraid to say, “I was wrong.”
- Healthy families choose conflict resolution over conflict avoidance.
- Healthy families make time to be with each other and to attend one another’s events.
- Healthy families have a corporate sense of responsibility to all members.
Theses are things you can have in your family, too.
Source: On Becoming Pre-Teen Wise by Gary Ezzo